Friday, June 24, 2011

Cheerful Carrot Slaw

It's a grey morning outside - our 6th straight day of clouds and thunder and rainy damp. I THINK I saw the sun for a few minutes on Wednesday, but now I'm beginning to wonder if I imagined it.

A good time for some bright, cheerful food that also happens to be super healthy and delicious:

Orange and green - how pretty is that?

This salad was a staple at our family gatherings for years. Adapted from Joël Robuchon's Simply French, it's simple, quick, and quite amazingly good. The original recipe calls for lemon juice, two kinds of oil, and parsley on top - but I like it even better with lime juice and cilantro. The garlic gives it a great kick.



In medium bowl, make dressing:

2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
Sea Salt to taste (I use about 1/2 teaspoon)

Whisk together. Gradually whisk in:

3 Tablespoons oil (extra-virgin olive for me)

Add 2 fresh garlic cloves, degermed and minced.


Into dressing, grate 1 lb peeled carrots.

Toss well, then sprinkle with 3 Tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro. Salad may be served immediately, or covered and allowed to rest in the refrigerator.


P.S. A little parsley chewed after the meal may help to dispel any garlic breath.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

5 comments:

  1. Indeed a picturesque dish! And you've got me particularly excited because I'm growing both carrots and cilantro!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, sounds delicious. I did have to look up what cilantro was, we just call it coriander.

    As to the ending of North and South; on the first watching I was just blown away by the change in Mr Thornton! I was then a little annoyed that they had changed it so much, I think they could have achieved a similar effect had they they been more true to the ending in the book and would have avoided all those irritating errors in Victorian behaviour as you mention. However, I watched it again and, well, I guess I can forgive it its inappropriateness, and would happily agree to going home with Mr Thornton too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! And I have carrots and coriander in my garden, too, so no problems.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Gals-Across-the-Pond! I forgot you call it coriander over there. We use that name for the seeds and sometimes for the dried form; otherwise "cilantro" seems to be standard in the States. Coriander is a much prettier word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been having so much fun browsing through your blog and seeing all your pictures! And now I have to smile because my mom has that same salt shaker. ;-)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....