Thursday, July 28, 2011

Off to California

If my ready pen - or keyboard - seems a bit silent over the next week, it's because I'm away from home, visiting the Aged P's in my old stomping grounds of Southern California.

Although the trip was planned and the ticket bought months ago, the timing has turned out to be very ... interesting. My mom, who has been quietly sick for a long time, has recently taken a drastic turn for the worse and is currently in a nursing home after spending the last 5 days in hospital. Although both my parents really want her to be able to come home, I don't see how she can - in addition to cancer and other serious health problems, she is slipping into dementia and needs more care, on many levels, than my dad is able to give her. My parents have been married for 62 years. I can't begin to imagine how hard it must be for them to be separated.

I wish it could be a happier trip. At least I'll be able to give my dad a hand around the house - he's been run ragged trying to do everything himself. I'll see a few old friends while I'm here. And I'm determined to spend a bit of time at the beach, lying on the sand and listening to the waves come in - a truly simple pleasure, and one of the most soothing.

I"ll be back next week, with a more cheerful post - and a new crochet pattern.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

9 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers for you and your parents go with you. I hope you're able to get in a few Haiku along with those stitches and the sunbathing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that you have to make such a sad trip.
    Good thoughts your way and for your parents.
    I too hope you get to see the beach.

    xxoo
    Loll

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear that your trip was under such difficult circumstances. I know that it must be such a support to your dad to be handling all of these crucial things with some help. I can't imagine how hard it must be for your parents to have to be separated, nor the sad feelings of having a parent go into a home. My mom had Alzheimers, and I was thankful that she was taken home to heaven before I had to deal with the sadness of her being placed into a home, as her health was worsening, and it came to a point where much longer, we would not have been able to maintain her at home. It would have been difficult and heart breaking. I pray for peace, for comfort, for you, your father and your mother. Take care- and hope that you are able to find some refreshment in the midst of such a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry - it's heart wrenching to have to go through such hard times.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your Mum, I hope things work out as best they can. And I hope you still manage to enjoy some of your trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sad post, I hope you have some fun at least.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. Micawber,

    Sorry you and your parents are facing such a difficult time. I hope you are able to accomplish everything you wish to during your visit... Most especially the soothing time on the beach! Looking forward to your return home post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sad about your mom. It is so difficult to see our parents slide. Even an hour or two at the beach will be so calming. Avoid Huntington Beach, the US Open of Surfing is going on all week - should be a madhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to everyone for your kind words and thoughts. Four months ago I didn't know any of you and now I feel surrounded by friends.

    Cynthia - thanks. My dad also warned me about H.B. (I was planning to go to Bolsa Chica anyway - free parking.) A good week for surfing - the wind was right and there were some pretty decent waves the day I was there.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....