Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Good Day for a Book

Any day is a good day to read as far as I'm concerned. But today is an Especially Good Day - it's World Book Day (thanks, Peeriemoot and Angela, for spreading the word).

I'm between books at the moment, having just finished this fascinating (and massive) tome:

Inside the Victorian Home, by Judith Flanders

Next on my reading list (and on order from the library) are: The Difference Engine: Charles Babbage and the Quest to Build the First Computer, and The Victorian Internet - which concerns the telegraph and its impact on 19th century life. (I seem to be on a Victorian roll.)

While waiting for my library books to come in, I'm refreshing my spare moments with this hilarious collection:

A Jeeves omnibus by the incomparable P.G. Wodehouse.
 (I find old Plum to be very soothing when Fate
has been swinging its sledgehammer in my direction.)
 

Excuse me while I just elbow this daffodil out of the way....



What are you reading this fine World Book Day?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

7 comments:

  1. Your blog. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!

    Litigoater is on the reading list, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crime and Punishment....sounds heavy, or at least it always has to me, but it is really enjoyable so far. Much more enjoyable than I expected, at least!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. On I do love a bit of Jeeves and Wooster! I am reading Antony Woodward's The Garden in the Clouds, which is about making a garden folk really want to visit out of a ramshackle farmstead atop a Welsh mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, is it World Book Day?1?

    Btw, I love that painting, which is on the cover of "Inside The Victorian Home." Don't remember who did it, but do remember that he did various pre-versions of it. :-)

    Today, I am in between books, awaiting some from the library. And awaiting getting TO the library. So I'm trying to slog through a bit of "The Portable Jung." Not easy going, sigh. Not for my 'ol brain, anyway.

    Sorry that Fate has been slinging a sledgehammer at you, of late. Very sorry. Hope all smooths out, soon.

    "I couldn't have electricity in the house, I wouldn't sleep a wink. All those vapors floating about."
    ~Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Auntie - That is a beautiful painting, made interesting for me by the multiple generations depicted and the various activities of the family members.

      Don't worry about the sledgehammer of Fate - it was a rather weak attempt at Wodehouseian humor and hyperbole.

      Portable Jung? That sounds dreadful.

      Delete
  5. I just finished The Somnamulist by Jonathan Barnes and I'm getting ready to reread Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....