Friday, March 30, 2012

It's Official...

...spring is here.

Even after a mild winter like this year's, it's hard for me to believe that spring has finally arrived. The mid-March heat wave - a meteorological aberration of the rarest kind, which caused trees and daffodils to burst into bloom several weeks early - felt dreamlike and unreal, as though the leaves and flowers brought on by the unusual warmth would all disappear when it ended. The warmth is gone, but the leaves and flowers remain - and this week I found the first violets.


For some, the first robin is the true herald of spring; for others, a change in the sky or the air. For me, at least since we moved to Wisconsin, the coming of the violets is the sign and seal of winter's end.


I don't know why violets hold such significance for me. Perhaps it's because I grew up in seemingly winter-less Southern California, which wavered between a perpetual spring and summer, and where violets were non-existent (but people grew nursery-bought pansies in December).


The white violets are the first to appear in our lawn, and this year they're weeks ahead of schedule. Soon will come the blue and purple violets, and we'll be well away on the delightfully slippery flowery slope that leads to lilacs and plum blossom, columbine and wild geranium, yarrow and hawkweed and dog roses and all the blossomy glory of spring and summer.

On an earthier note: even earlier than the violets this year were my chives, which sprang from the ground with a glad cry some weeks ago, and have been springing ever since.


They're now about a foot tall, and some of them adorn my breakfast eggs every morning.


Delicious spring!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

9 comments:

  1. LOVE violets! They are so unassuming and yet so lovely. Probably delicious too, but the Goatmother doesn't let anyone near them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that DELICIOUS spring! We have peppers blossoming!!! Won't be long now! Of course, they are indoors, but they still taste fantastic!

    I'm so impressed with the variety of flowers you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sue, I adore violets but never really seem to see any since we moved here. I know of a few spots where one or two appear but in nothing like the numbers we used to find. So it is lovely to see photographs of yours :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bon appetit! :-) Your eggs look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm, I too love the coming of Violets... -happy sigh-

    "I never considered a difference of opinion
    in politics, in religion, in philosophy,
    as cause for withdrawing from a friend."

    ~~Thomas Jefferson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, the things I don't know!! I've never considered violets growing in actual nature!! :) Your violets are so pretty and delicate!! I've always been a fan of pansies, which remind me of violets...not sure where I'm going there, but thought I'd share!! :) Also, I always think of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory when I hear violet, but that's totally random so, I'll stop!!

    Don't fresh from the garden chives make you want to cook only things you can top with them? Your eggs look delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to try to eradicate the Violets from my garden as they strangled everything in their path. They have not disappeared entirely but I do have to keep them in check.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The violets are so pretty. I need to buy some flowers even if they ared for the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your violets, I saw some tiny (what I think are) purple violets today when we were out walking. Do you get the small purple scented sweets called Parma (Palma?) violets in America? Not sure if it's just a brit thing, they smell and taste lovely.

    Isn't it nice to see everything bursting to life in the garden and in th hedgerows. The walk through the trees today will be a real sight in a few weeks as the banks were full of bluebells yet to flower, must remember to go back and photograph them.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....