Friday, April 5, 2013

A Very Special Ride

A few days ago, on a windy road: "What are you training for?" asks Tallulah the Turtle (who is riding in my back pocket). "For a very special ride, coming up at the end of June," I reply. But the wind snatches my words away, and Tallulah is left wondering.

Back at the house, and liberated from my pocket, she climbs onto my helmet and asks again, "What did you say you were training for?"

"For a Very Special Ride - in Colorado, at the end of June. It's called Bike MS. Lots of people will be riding together to raise money to help people with MS."

"What is MS?" she wants to know. So together we watch this video:


"Wow," she says. "I know," I reply.

Tallulah has many more questions - probably the same questions you have. So we decide that she shall interview me.

T: Why are you going to Colorado for this ride?

Mrs. M: My friend Snowcatcher - who crocheted you, Tallulah - has been participating in Bike MS for years. This year she's formed a team of her own and invited me to join it.

How long is the ride?

73 miles, 2 days in a row. That's 146 miles total.

When is it?

June 29-30, 2013.

Do you have to do anything special to qualify for the ride?

Yes - I have to raise at least $400 in donations.

Where does the money go?

Straight to programs, services, and research to help people with MS.

Speaking of money, does it cost anything to be in this ride?

Yes. Snowcatcher is paying my entrance fee, and I am paying to get myself and my bike out to Colorado and back again. But I'm not asking for help with that - only for donations to help fight MS.

What if something prevents you from riding?

The donations still go to help fight MS.

Can I donate?

Yes! Just click on the "Bike MS" button below, or in my sidebar, to be taken to my Bike MS page. When you get there, look for the blue button under my picture that says "Donate to Sue", and click on that.


How much should I donate?

As much or as little as you like. Even a dollar will help. If you can afford more, that would be great.

One last question: Does it embarrass you to ask people for money?

Normally, yes - I can't stand asking people for money (which is why I give away so many crochet patterns for free). But this is a worthy cause, and I will gladly ask for money to help someone else.

Wait - I just thought of another question - can I come on the ride with you?

Of course, Tallulah. I wouldn't dream of leaving you behind. :)

~ ~ ~

Thanks for reading this far - if you have any other questions, do please ask. See also my Bike MS page (click on the button above) which has links to all kinds of information about the ride.

To my bloggy friends: feel free to blog about this and/or grab a copy of the sidebar button. Any and all help is appreciated!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

15 comments:

  1. "Auntie" feeling sick, so her comment is quick...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant cause Sue, I used to work in neurology for many years and have had the privilege of treating people with MS. Its great to set yourself a goal to train towards x Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, this is the most wonderful, inspiring post! Tallulah is so sweet and so cute! (No, I'm not biased at all! You've given her personality!) I love the sidebar button you designed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great cause. My cousin suffered from MS for many years before she died of complications of the disease. I wll be back to push that button and share it on my blog. Still a bit crazy here with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cause.....I reckon with your increasing mileages under your belt last year and tallulah at your side you'll fly through those two days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful, Sue. WOW that's a long ride; you must be in great shape. It's all those Sunday rides, right? The two of you will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your ride Sue! We contribute(some ride)in Mo for our relative and friends with MS. I hope Tallulah is training also - the altitude could be tough for turtles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'll be riding on my birthday! An excellent cause. Good luck with the training.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't thank you and so many others without MS that walk for all of us with MS enough! I met you here on your blog when I first saw your snowflakes and then found out what you do for MS research and more!!

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    And thanks to the many that donate to Snowcatcher and Lizard! Your money goes to a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will keep you in my thoughts...safe rides and great success to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How awesome for Tallulah that she will get to go with you and experience a wonderful event. All the best for the fundraising, training and ultimate challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Sue, for doing this! I've just made a donation. (I think it's Tallulah's influence - I can't resist her.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will Tweet and Facebook about this Sue ... such a great cause :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Many thanks to all of you for your encouraging comments ... it is a great help to know that I have so many friends behind me! :)

    Thanks also to all those who have generously contributed or helped to spread the word. I appreciate it more than I can say.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....