Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Published Again!

Drum roll, please....

Never mind the drum roll, let's have some photos!

Photo courtesy of Love of Crochet

Presenting the Sedona Top (by yours truly), now available in Love of Crochet's Weekend Crochet 2013* issue.


Weekend Crochet 2013 contains 28 wonderful patterns, all using 3 skeins or less of yarn.

The Sedona Top was designed specifically for this issue. Swatched in NaturallyCaron Spa, the final garment was stitched from Lorna's Laces Honor, a luscious hand-dyed alpaca/silk blend (DK weight).

Original swatch in NaturallyCaron Spa

Finished garment in Lorna's Laces Honor

A simple tee with elegant details, the Sedona Top starts with an eyeleted neck and shoulder band, stitched in a long strip, which is then turned and worked downwards from the strip's long edge to form the body. Buttons and loops at shoulders are optional, and can be replaced with a seam if desired.

Photo courtesy of Love of Crochet

Wide linked treble crochets make up the body of the tee, yielding a lacy, drapey fabric. This stitch uses surprisingly little yarn and gives a subtle striped effect to the top. (I will be posting a tutorial soon for this easy and lovely stitch.)


Sedona is worked flat, front and back, then seamed at the sides. It's easily customisable for size: simply increase or decrease the upper and/or lower portions of the tee to suit your preferences. (Note: the fabric blocks well to measurements, but elongates when worn to create a clingier fit. For a drapier tee choose a size that is greater than your bust measurement.)

Blocking before seaming (the cardinal rule!)

After blocking, waiting to be mailed to magazine

Also included in the pattern: an optional belt which matches the neck and shoulder band.

Thanks to Love of Crochet for publishing this design - it's very exciting for me to be appearing once more in print.


~ ~ ~

*Love of Crochet website's preview page does not include photos of all the great patterns in this issue - there are several which are not pictured (mine included). Pick up an issue to see them all. :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

45 comments:

  1. I'll be picking up my issue first thing tomorrow. (If it's on the stands now...) The biggest congrats of all! This is even better than racking up page hits. Beautiful sweater, and the color of that swatch mesmerizes me! Of course, you knew that, huh?!?

    Congrats! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! :)

      (I really liked the Caron yarn too - would have loved to use it to be honest.)

      Delete
  2. WooHoo, Sue! Congrats! Will look forward to your tutorial. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, yet again! The top is lovely, so pretty and I really like the buttons on the shoulder, great detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drumroll indeed! I will gladly provide a few blasts of my oboe too if I can add to the hugely well-deserved fanfare of CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS!

    This pattern looks absolutely beautiful, Sue!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blast the oboe by all means! :) (Could be sung to Purcell's "Sound the Trumpet" you know: "Blaaaaa-a-a-a-ast the Oboe....")

      Merci Stephanie. :)

      Delete
  5. That is so pretty and well-designed. The belt finishes it off perfectly and makes it very flattering. I love the buttons as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Sue! it's a beautiful top! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to you Sue! it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, I didn't recognize your alter ego, either. I love this top - the button details are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie - the entire issue is pretty nice I think. :)

      Delete
  9. Congratulations! You do such beautiful crochet work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandy! Hope all is well with you. :)

      Delete
  10. Oh wow this is so lovely! Congrats on being published...again. :) Yay! :)

    Blessings always

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful and looks so summery. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, e - though to be honest they sent the garment back to me and the alpaca is a bit warm for summer. (Also I didn't make it in my size - will know better another time.) But it's very gorgeous yarn. :)

      Delete
  12. Really nice, and again, I'm impressed that it's in a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet - somehow an actual magazine is so much more exciting than publishing online, though I don't know why it should be so. :)

      Delete
  13. Wow! I'm thoroughly impressed. I really like this top, especially with the cute buttons. Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks cogaroo - you should submit some designs yourself you know! :)

      Delete
  14. It looks beautiful. Congrats on being published again!!! You must be really excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I am - although the process is such a long one that the excitement dies out for months at a time. But it all revives when the magazine comes in the mail! :)

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks Kindra! Had a good chat with Ryan the other day about Minneapolis and rental bikes. :)

      Delete
  16. I am so proud of you. The detail with the buttons is exquisite. You are so very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! Impressive in every sense! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue - are you staying cool in steamy St. Louis? It's hotter than blazes here, and humid to match. :)

      Delete
    2. If inside, one can be cool; sickening heat. Temp around 99* and heat index higher. Although last year's drought makes today seem like a cake walk! Attempting to keep watered with rainbarrels so that the wildlife can nibble on the little bit of garden we have planted in pots! So happy to provide a daily (nightly) buffet for the critters! ;-) You stay cool!

      Delete
  18. Woohoo!! It's a gorgeous top Sue! All accolades very much deserved. Well done :D

    I may not be a crocheter but I know enough about designing and getting into print to understand how much effort is involved and how huge a deal this is. Kudos to you Mrs M.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie - and you're so right about the work involved. (Calculating the increases for different sizes was a nightmare, and this was a simple pattern with square lines!) I'll never get rich from crochet design, except in satisfaction. :)

      Delete
  19. Woohoo, well done you......congrats on your exciting news.
    Will have to keep an eye out for this issue.......

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! Do they sell this magazine in Oz? (Silly question - they must or you wouldn't be looking out for it.) :)

      Delete
  20. Oh wow! This is wonderful. I've been looking for a simple top to crochet. I think I could actually manage it. so cute. I adore the buttons.

    Congrats on your publication. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lolly! It's very exciting for me. If you do crochet it I hope you'll send me some photos. :)

      Delete
  21. Bravo, Sue!!! I am so excited for you and those who are able to use your pattern...another project to add to my want to do list!
    Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am thinking about submitting several designs as you suggested, but I have a few questions. I hope you don't mind me asking, I thought you would be a good person as you've been published twice, and you're very nice. :)

    - How long does the process take, approximately, from submitting the pattern to sending in the finished product? Or does it vary? I'm only looking for a rough estimate.
    - I know the editors send you yarn to crochet a version for their photo shoot. How long do they generally give you? I'm not good at working to a short deadline, especially since one pattern I'm submitting is a bit more labor intensive.
    - Lastly, what is a good magazine to submit to at first? Interweave seems like it would be harder to get into, especially on the cover.

    Thank you SO much for reading all this. Any help you can provide would be invaluable and greatly appreciated. I'm not exaggerating when I say that you're my crochet idol. :)

    Thanks again!
    Cogaroo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will email you - thanks for your kind comment! :)

      Delete

I love comments! Speak on....