Sunday, May 15, 2016

Apple Blossom Time

...is nearly over; after a week of rain and wind, these darling buds of May have mostly fallen from the trees. But on last Sunday's ride, the countryside was full of their beauty:


Yellow torches of winter cress were lighting up the verges...


As were dandelions, those cheery harbingers of sunshine to come:


The past few months have been so frenetic, there's been little time for cycling. Plum-blossom time has come and gone, so I felt lucky to find this little tree still blooming:



The sweetest flowers have the shortest lives. But the garlic mustard is always with us:


Tallulah and I had planned our route around the flowers we hoped to see. There's a certain stretch of roadside which is royal with violets every spring, and this year it didn't disappoint us:


"Look at that sea of purple!" says Tallulah. "I wish I could dive into it!"

Tallulah gets her wish

A few hundred yards further is a marsh where kingcups grow. Miss T, who for a turtle is strangely averse to water, sat safely in my pocket whilst I navigated the tussocky ground for a close-up:


We turned to climb up the bank to the road, and there, hiding in the grass, were the first tiny stars of Canada anemone (try staying that 10 times fast):


Back on the bike, we headed around the corner and down the next road. Some small white tufts that looked vaguely like clover blossom proved on closer inspection to be Pussytoes, a fuzzy little flower of the Aster family:


A little farther on, we found the flowers we were most hoping to see:

Greek Valerian or Jacob's Ladder

Last spring I first discovered them growing here, and have been looking forward ever since to seeing them again.


Several miles later, at a favourite willowy bend, Mr. and Mrs. Canada Goose shepherded their adorable offspring into the water and away from the strange human with a camera:


Shadow of same, back on the bike:


We passed maple trees decked with dangling blossom, putting out ghostly fingers of leaves:


At the next corner stood more wild apple trees, all glorious in white:

Where's Tallulah?

This is the time of year when Nature layers beauty upon beauty, tint upon tint. Leaf and blossom, pink and violet and burgundy, glow between the fresh emerald of new grass and the soft sapphire of the sky, while a thousand shades of green glimmer from the treetops:


A Favourite Tree seemed glad to see us again, as we were to see it:


Across the road, in the flickering light and shade of the woods, we saw a miracle of blossoms clustered around a mossy trunk:


Doesn't it look like something out of Lord of the Rings? The forest glades of Ithilien come to mind....

Around the corner and down the hill, we're firmly back in the Wisconsin countryside.


It was good to get out on the bike, to feel the sun on my skin, to ride familiar roads, and find flowers and trees I remember from other years blooming still in the same places, adding new beauties to the store of memory.

~ ~ ~

Thank you all for your kind comments on my last post. My sister is slowly (so slowly) getting better, though some difficult decisions lie ahead for her. My dad continues to need help and care. Blogging and cycling have to take a back seat right now, but I hope some day to be able to do more of both.

How is May treating you?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of beautiful flowers. I'm glad you have cycling to take your mind off of things whenever you can. I'll keep your family in my prayers.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A week of rain in spring seems endless. I'm so happy to have the sun back too. Although it is still cold here and not very springlike. Nontheless, it is so lush. You've made beautiful pictures. Have a nice week. Regula

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you managed a trip out on your bike -I bet it felt good. the anemones are so pretty - one of my favourite flowers, I think. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear there has been some improvement for the health of your sister and father. I would think you'd need your bike rides more than ever.
    The variety of wildflowers in your area is staggering! I had never heard of pussytoes before, they're so cute.
    We've been working in the garden this month, it's been very dry, need rain badly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post, Sue. I enjoy your bike rides so much. I've learned a lot about wildflowers from your blog and always enjoy seeing the wide variety of them that you spot and photograph. I've never heard of most of the ones in your post today, so it was fun to have a chance to see and read about them. You and your family are in my thoughts. I hope things settle down for your sister soon. Take care and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason your blog and several others were no longer in my sidebar so I've remedied that now. No wonder I was never getting updates. It's always lovely to see all your beautiful photos. I'm sorry to hear about your sister and dad. Will have to read the previous post to catch up. Best wishes and blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it wonderful to see spring being so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you pick a bouquet of those Violets to bring home and put in a little vase? You would love how it makes the house smell so nice. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Mrs Micawber!Sorry I missed the previous post... I do wish and pray for well-being and health improvement of your dear ones... I really do..

    Thanks for in spite of anything you share with us the beauty of nature... the blossoms are amazing! It's a spring time in Kazakhstan too - very similar views there now :))
    Take care and sending healing energies your way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In the middle of the blossoms I found Tallulah...since you asked where she was. Thanks so much for all the wonderful photos. I enjoyed every single one. I'm so glad that during this difficult time you were able to go riding and that you took time to connect with us. May the Lord bless you and yours with wisdom, comfort, encouragement, and healing. xx [We have rain and shine and flowers out our way, and Mt. Hood is a majestic white when visible...in answer to how May is treating me]

    ReplyDelete
  11. So funny you have some flowers which are growing here too!( I'm in the country side , near chartres, france)I love your remark about the lord of rings! We just saw the trilogy two days ago( for the 6th time at least!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is nothing better than Wisconsin in the Spring. You have so much on your plate right now Sue, blog when you can we will all be here.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking of you and your family sweet friend. ((hugs)) and prayers sent your way. The pictures are lovely. Blessings always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All your pictures are very nice. I enjoyed them very much. Im a new follower. I hope to see you again. With love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is so good to be able to enjoy Spring, isn't it? Wisconsin is looking lovely again.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....