Wednesday, June 13, 2018

On the Cusp of Summer

How did it get to be the middle of June? Spring has flown past so quickly that I've fallen behind (again!) on posting cycling photos.

It's been an odd spring this year - late to start, and with temperatures extremely mercurial. The final week of May was sweltering, with day after day of 90+ degrees. Lilacs came and went like a purple flash, and many other flowers were thrown off schedule by the unseasonable heat.

Allergies are a doozy this year - all the most sneeze-inducing trees and grasses seem to be seeding at once. Between allergy-induced brain fog and menopausal brain fog, I feel as though I've been barely functional for the last few weeks. But I see by my photos that I've taken a few rides during that time, so grab a cup of something hot or cold (as befits your weather), and get ready for lots of pictures.

~ ~ ~

Way back in the middle of May, on a day of bright blue skies and cold wind, I saw red-velvet leaves growing on a shady bank:


The first wild geranium, pale and shivering:


A small forest of leafy spurge:


And asparagus!


(Lots of asparagus.)


Those jersey pockets sure come in handy sometimes. :)

~ ~ ~

A week later, things were heating up. A shot of refreshing green on a hot sticky day:


~ ~ ~

On Memorial Weekend, it was hotter still.

I found a new-to-me wildflower:

Fringed Puccoon

Felt patriotic as I climbed a hill and rode past a flag-adorned fence:


Enjoyed a bit of Americana:


And traveled round a favourite bend in the road:


~ ~ ~

Memorial Day, a sizzling 95 degrees. Over the last few years I've grown to like riding in really hot weather, especially when the humidity is low, as it was that evening.

Shadow shot:


Wild geraniums looking cool in the shade:


Locust tree in bloom:


Vine-wreathed fence on a country road:


Deer sightings were plentiful that evening:



~ ~ ~

A week later, temperatures had dropped sharply. On a chilly Sunday ride in early June, I found oodles of wildflowers:

From left to right: Spiderwort (top), Hoary Puccoon (bottom), Columbine, Balsam Groundsel


A  bug on a leaf:


More wildflowers:

Clockwise from upper left: Dame's Rocket, Wild Rose, Wild Geranium, Golden Alexanders, Common Yarrow

Some horses at pasture were startled by my passing, and ran thundering across the field while I fumbled for the camera:


Red-winged blackbirds, young and old, were holding a concert in the marsh:



Along came a road-hogging piece of farm equipment:


Wildflowers spotted in the last two miles of the ride:

Clockwise from upper left: Mystery member of the pea family, Meadow Anemone,
Penstemon, Buttercup

~ ~ ~

And that brings us nicely up to today. A truly gorgeous day it was, windy-warm and blue-skied - the kind of day that gives June a good name, and makes me grateful to be alive and riding in such a beautiful place.

Yep, the sky really was this blue:


Windmills turning on the high prairie:


Giant hogweed flourishing on a shady verge:


A favourite barn, with decoration:


A lovingly-preserved one-room schoolhouse:


The biggest collection of farm buildings I've seen anywhere (so big that the only way to shoot them all is from a mile up the road):


Buttercups and bicycle spokes:


Blue flag iris growing wild in a wet ditch:


A good day for a ride.

~ ~ ~

It's nearly 9 o'clock in the evening as I write this post, and the sky is still fully light. Rosy clouds drift like bits of sheer ribbon over the house, and the western sky glows with an opal flame.

O wondrous almost-summer!


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

13 comments:

  1. I learned something today. I thought those white blossomed trees were "white wisteria". I found out from you they are LOCUST. #themoreyouknow :-)

    I also didn't know you could find asparagus just growing wild. Sounds like I really need to get OUT more. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild asparagus and lovely photos❣️Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. The aroma of Honey Locust trees in bloom is amazing. I love that you can identify so many wildflowers. I knew a lot of them, I call that wild sweetpea. Enjoy your rides in your gorgeous countryside. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the flower filled ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely outing and those back pockets were perfect for your lovely collection of asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post sweet friend. :) I so love "riding along" with you. The flowers, always my favorite, and of course, you never disappoint by sharing them, thank you. :) You asked about the poodles I am stitching on my blog, I plan to make them into a little pillow when finished. It's the perfect SAL. Wishing you a most lovely day sweet friend. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome and lovely pictures! That is a lot of asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How many posts of yours am I allowed to say are among my favorite? Lots, I hope, because this is definitely one of the many, Sue. The farms and flowers, bend in the road, leaping deer, and gorgeous sunset fill me with content, and your asparagus holder is nothing short of brilliant :-) I do apologize for pulling up some of your beloved wildflowers around here, but I left many more than I pulled up...honest! Thanks for cheering me on in my moving preparations. Progress is being made! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the name Pacoon. I may have to name a cat that! I love seeing your rides, flowers barns and skies. Thank you!!! OH those deer. They are very rompy here too. Must be careful. Happy Weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love, love, love the wildflowers!
    95 degrees with low humidity, I wonder what that must feel like? In Georgia, 80 degrees with high humidity is enough to make you want to pass out, let alone when the temp climbs into the 90's!
    Stay cool, my friend, but that won't be hard for you, Sue! You are the coolest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know how much I adore Wisconsin Sue, thank you for showing all i=of it's beauty. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you again for teaching me something new - I had never heard of any sort of Pucoon, Locust trees are related to Borage and the Dame's Rocket. All gorgeous things as is the little Moth.

    And it is now almost Solstice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hard to believe summer is rapidly coming to an end, and that it's been so long since I've been able to take a peek at your blog. First time I saw fringed puccoon was on my first Rattlesnake Canyon hike with Lizard. What a gorgeous flower! Oh, so jealous of your blue skies. We have smoky skies. For about a whole month now...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....