Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Simple Pleasures: Baby Vegetables

This is an exciting time of year. Winter is (finally) a distant memory; warmth and growth are everywhere; and baby veggies are burgeoning.

Look at this wee eggplant. Just 10 days ago it was a lovely purple blossom, and now ...

A small miracle at my doorstep

... it's well on the way to a glorious destiny - one that involves tomato sauce and parmesan cheese.

Speaking of tomato sauce ...

Young yellow grape tomatoes

Barring unforeseen calamity, fresh tomato sauce will abound in our not-too-distant future.

Can't recall this variety's name

And tomato-zucchini gratin with thyme, and tomatoes topped with fresh basil and olive oil, and omelettes with grape tomato-goat cheese-basil filling...

Summer. I love it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2 comments:

  1. You are making me hungry my dear! It's a wonderful time and I love to see pictures of other people's future harvests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had about 40 squash blossoms on my porch this morning! But they are all the same, don't know if male or female, so I probably won't get any luscious surprises like what you found this round, but I was told this morning squash blossoms are edible... so I guess I'm due a quick trip to epicurious...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....