Tuesday, June 11, 2013

And Make It Snappy!

Why did the turtle cross the road? Presumably to lay its eggs (and not, as some might think, in a deed of turtlish derring-do, or a foolhardy attempt to beat the traffic).

Today was a turtle day. On this afternoon's training ride, I saw a lovely painted turtle, about 7 or 8 inches long, sitting in the middle of my lane. I couldn't tell from its position which way it wanted to go, or I might have been tempted to stop and help it across the road. I said a quick prayer that it might make it across to whichever side it was aiming for - and continued on my way.

A few miles later, not far from a creek, I saw a completely different turtle sitting in the grass. A Very Large Turtle, this - a foot or more in length, with a snout pointed like a mole's, huge, broad feet, and shell and body of a uniform drabness.

"I can't pass this one up," I thought. "Tallulah has got to see a photo of this turtle."

I turned the bike around and slowly approached the behemoth. Not knowing what kind of turtle it was, I stopped a few feet away to take this photo:


The Very Large Turtle didn't move, so I leaned in a bit (for a close-up, you know) ... and quick as a wink, it turned around and made a dash for the tall grass bordering the creek.


Whoever said turtles were slow? This one was incredibly fast. In just a few seconds it was out of sight, leaving behind only a small but deep hole (which, I'm sorry to say, appeared to be empty).

A bit of Googling at home has revealed this to be a Snapping Turtle. Based on its impressive turn of speed, I am more inclined to call it a Snappy Turtle.

According to Wikipedia, June and July are peak laying season for Snapping Turtles. And now that I look at that top photo, there does seem to be a sort of dreamy look in the turtle's eye. I hope I haven't disrupted the reproductive process, or caused irreparable stress to an expectant turtle mother.


When I got home and expressed my fears to Tallulah, I must say she took it very calmly.

"I'm sure it'll all be fine," she said dismissively. "You know turtles can live to be over 100. And by the looks of it, this one has been around the block a few times. It'll take more than a cyclist with a camera to stop HER laying her eggs."

"Don't you wish you could have seen her too?" I asked.

"Nah. Everyone knows how grumpy snappers can be. AND they're omnivorous - if I got too close, she might have eaten me."

In deference to Tallulah's feelings, I forebore to mention that "omnivorous" is defined as "feeding on food of both plant and animal origin". I don't think that includes crochet turtles - even if they are made of 100% cotton thread.

Just don't tell her I said so.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

35 comments:

  1. The turtles on the banks of our pond never stay put long enough for a photo shoot. They plop right into the water as soon as they hear me. Tonight we saw a snake slithering through the water. I thought it might be a turtle, since we could only see its head. Hub said it was a snake. Maybe he is right. We will never really know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet you see more reptiles than I do.... I am certainly glad this one was not aggressive, which apparently they can be. She was a good 20 feet away from the tall grass, and only 2 feet from the edge of the road. :)

      Delete
  2. Is a turtle a tortoise? If so, how fitting to see one while training for a bike race. If not, it's not fitting at all except for this one was fast. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you have me scratching my head ... however, a quick search reveals that Tortoises are not Turtles.

      But I like the symbolism here. Perhaps I, too, shall prove to be faster than commonly reported. :)

      Delete
  3. I can't say I do like how the turtle looks like - very strange nose it has... But I thought Talullah would be more delighted to see..hmm.. her relative. But sometimes we prefer staying on our own - it is more safe.
    Great post, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! I agree that it is not an appealing turtle - that nose is very strange, isn't it? :)

      Delete
  4. You are too funny, a breath of fresh air to start the day.
    I was bit on the face years ago by a snapper, got too close to look at him for my own good...but I was lucky he let go!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! Although I didn't know at the time it was a snapper, I kept my distance just in case. :)

      Delete
  5. Does it have a pointy nose, or am I just seeing things? I remember when we lived in Louisiana, I was 10, and my brothers and I were fishing with my Dad, I caught a snapping turtle while fishing...didn't catch anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very pointy nose - very like a mole's, I thought. I had never seen one of this species before, or if I had, it wasn't anything like this one.

      Delete
  6. You are brave being so close to that turtle...From a girl who lives in Louisiana, and use to such animals...that thing can take your hand off that's why it's nose is so sharp....you should see it open, pretty scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shari! I stayed some feet away, just in case. I am very glad now that it ran AWAY from me and not AT me! :)

      Delete
  7. Like reading the last 2 posts. You have the BEST rides!! Snapping (snappy) turtles would not win a beauty contest! We have 2 (that we know of) box turtles living in our yard, regularly hunted by a red tailed hawk but they are too-oo smart for that bird. We enjoy suddenly seeing turtles racing across patio for wilder parts of yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it's not as unusual as I thought to see a turtle running ... Wikipedia would have it that they are all slow and lumbering.

      I wish I could have gotten a photo of the painted turtle - it was very beautiful. :)

      Delete
  8. Cool discovery.

    -pout-

    I never see turtles. Not even crochet ones.

    -sigh-

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you see Tallulah.... on screen at least. :)

      Thanks Auntie.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks! It will probably be changing on a semi-regular basis now.

      Delete
  10. turtles are literally litering our highways, too; we head to the beach this weekend---and seeing the sea turtles laying eggs on the beach has been on my proverbial 'bucket list' forever....so far, i've been thwarted. maybe this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be very interesting - I'd love to see the sea turtles laying their eggs. :)

      Delete
  11. Now I know which turtles to stay away from! Love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)

      Now that I've read about snapping turtles I feel lucky she didn't get aggressive with me.

      Delete
  12. Pretty Neat to see such a large Turtle let alone 2.. I have not seen one so big... I reckon Tallulah will love seeing the photo you took for her/him??? Have a lovely week. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tallulah was not as impressed as I hoped she would be ... but perhaps she was just putting on an act.

      Tallulah is a girl, by the way. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, I was not sure and I did not want to insult you know... I am happy to know she is a girl... VBG Hugs Judy

      Delete
  13. Wow! That's one big turtle.

    They don't get that big here in KY, I am guessing the goobers here eat them or something. But I digress.

    Wishing you a lovely day filled with many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was VERY big. I'd love to know its age.

      Thanks Vicki! :)

      Delete
  14. Three cheers for Turtle Tuesday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Snappy turtle....hehe! Your cycles are always far more exotic there than they would be here. I thought I saw a seal on my walk today, although just as I went to zoom my camera in, it went below the water....it's the wrong time to see them now, but I couldn't imagine what else it could be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I ve forgotten how old they can live to be. And they are SNAPPY!!! You were in luck. Glad Talulah got some long lost relative time on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am constantly stopping my car and saving turtles, my kids roll their eyes at me, but I hope they will eventually do it to. We have big snappers here in Florida so I nudge them with my foot to get them moving, I try to stay away from their snappy mouths.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never seen a fast turtle, either. I would have been so startled! Glad you didn't get snapped.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always have the best adventures. Very cool seeing the snapping turtle. I don't think I have ever seen one. Glad she ran away rather than at you.
    Happy training

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wouldn't have known the turtle type, either. Not sure I've ever seen a smooth turtle. But the first time I saw one with a good long tail, well, I was thinking Lizard in a Turtle suit!!! (Still need to crochet that!!!)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....