Monday, July 29, 2013

Wide Linked Treble Crochet Tutorial

One of the problems with inventing stitches* is coming up with suitable stitch names.

Take the Wide Linked Treble Crochet (wltr), which makes up the main body of the just-published Sedona Top. Wltr is tall and lacy, with a hint of knitted drape, and more than a hint of Tunisian about the technique. It starts with a single yarnover, picks up two more loops in unlikely places, and has extra chains in the middle of the stitch.


It's basically a treble with flourishes - but what in the world do you call it?

("How about 'Fred'?" suggests Tallulah the Turtle. "Thanks, Tallulah," I say. "I'll bear that in mind for next time.")

Taking into consideration the stitch qualities - treble, linked, spaced one stitch apart - Wide Linked Treble seems reasonably appropriate and concise.**

~ ~ ~

Linked stitches are most often worked into the horizontal strands of the previous stitch, which gives a pleasing (if rather regimented) appearance of horizontal lines running across the front of the work, and a dense, stable fabric:

Traditional Linked Treble Crochet,
worked back and forth (2 rows)

Wide Linked crochet, on the other hand, is worked into vertical strands of the previous stitch, with extra ch-1s added between each stitch. This opens up the work, breaking the horizontal lines and giving a lacy, almost criss-cross effect:

Wide Linked Treble Crochet,
worked back and forth (2 rows)

A row of Wide Linked stitches will use less yarn than a solid row of traditional stitches, giving you more bang for your yarny buck. Like traditional stitches, Wide Linked Crochet can be made taller or shorter according to your preference, by increasing or decreasing the initial chain stitches in each row, and the number of loops pulled up. (For a really lacy appearance, omit the initial yarnover.)

As with Tunisian crochet, you may want to increase your hook size when working Wide Linked crochet, to achieve a better drape in the finished fabric.

Some suggested uses for Wide Linked crochet include: garments, cowls (worked lengthwise or widthwise), shawls, and blankets.

~ ~ ~

If you'd like to try Wide Linked Treble Crochet for yourself, here are the basic stitch instructions (video tutorial follows):

All crochet terms are American.

Ch multiple of 2 + 1 for base.
All rows: Ch 5 (counts as first wltr + ch-1), turn so top of ch is facing you,
yo, ins hook into back loop of 3rd ch from hook, pull up a lp, ch 1,
ins hook into back loop of 2nd ch from hook, pull up a lp, ch 1,
ins hook into 3rd st from hook, pull up a lp,
[yo, pull through 2 lps on hook] twice, yo, pull through 3 lps on hook, ch 1.
First 2 wltr made.
*Yo, ins hook into left vertical strand of center segment of previous st, pull up a lp, ch 1,
ins hook into left vertical strand of bottom segment of previous st, pull up a lp, ch 1,
ins hook into 2nd st from hook, pull up a lp,
[yo, pull through 2 lps on hook] twice, yo, pull through 3 lps on hook, ch 1.
Repeat from * across, omitting final ch-1 at end of row.

Note: the Sedona Top pattern instructs you to ch 6, rather than 5, when turning to begin a new wltr row. (This number seemed to work best with the project yarn and hook size used.) You may chain either 5 or 6 when turning - whichever helps you maintain proper row height. (If chaining 6, pull up initial lps in the 4th and 6th ch from hook rather than the 3rd and 5th.)

Tips for Wide Linked Treble Crochet:
  • Don't forget to chain 1 between each treble, and skip a stitch between trebles when working into row below.
  • In plain pattern stitch (with no increases or decreases), trebles are always worked into trebles from row below; ch-1s between stitches are always skipped over.
  • Watch your row ends - it's easy to miss a stitch there. Work final treble of each row into 4th turning chain from previous row.
Eyes glazing over at all this crochet shorthand? Here's a video tutorial:


In my next post, I'll share a free pattern for this quick and easy Summery Cowl, featuring Wide Linked Treble Crochet:


Thanks for viewing, and happy crocheting!

~ ~ ~

*I'm probably not the first person in crochet history to use this stitch - but I've never personally come across it in a pattern, and it doesn't show up on any of the standard stitch lists. It's something I worked out for myself - so in a sense I feel that I've invented it. :)

**Concise when you consider the alternative: Treble with Single Yarnover, Worked into Vertical Strands of Previous Stitch, with Extra ch-1 at Each Step, then Skipping a Stitch and Chaining 1 when Done.

"I still think 'Fred' would be a good name for this stitch," says Tallulah the irrepressible.

"I think you should retract into your shell now," says Mrs. M.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

22 comments:

  1. WOW, Sue! I love the look of Fred :) Thanks for all of your hard work in creating the tutorial and showing the beautiful summery cowl!!! I HAVE to finish my Ruby shawl first...but you do tempt me to digress.
    Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gracie! The cowl is the same yarn as your shawl, you know - only a different colourway. :)

      Delete
  2. All double Dutch to me ... but the stitch is soooo pretty :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always seem to amaze me Sue! It's a very lovely pattern, one many will use for sure! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to the cowl pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's up now. Thanks so much for commenting, and love your avatar. :)

      Delete
  5. Very nice stitch Sue, thank you for taking the time to explain it too us. I am pinning it and will be trying it out, the Summery cowl is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Linda! The cowl pattern is up now. :)

      Delete
  6. This cowl is truly lovely and very summery. You are a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously you are my crochet idol! Amazing stitch.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mere - and I will say in return that I seriously envy your knitting skills and output! :)

      Delete
  8. Sue, you always WOW me! Sounds very mathematical to me ~8-( but so beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing and I look forward to the cowl pattern. I ran across this site (Pinterest perhaps?) and I thought of Ms T - just in case she needs another new outfit! Here is the crochet for turtles link - http://ilovefunnypics.com/crochet-for-turtles/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue - also for the turtle photos. I had seen the dinosaur ones, but not the others. I wonder how long those things stay on, once the turtles get moving.... :)

      Delete
  9. The best part of this post, of course, is Tallulah's commentary. I love that she tried to have the last word. :)

    Just teasing. This is a beautiful stitch. I've played a lot with linked stitches of varying sizes for amigurumi shaping, but I've not tried to make the links lacy. This is worth experiments galore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tallulah thanks you, and says to tell you that her ambition is to have her own blog someday. (Only it will take her forever to type the posts, as she'll have to crawl over the keyboard and tap one key at a time....)

      Hope you get some fun out of the stitch! :)

      Delete
  10. I love the way it looks. Not sure that I can do it, but it is pretty. You are really amazing. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it - it's pretty straightforward really. Thanks Beth! :)

      Delete
  11. It took me a while to plow through the written instructions at first, but I've got myself a swatch now, and I LOVE the way it looks! I can't wait to use this for an afghan or scarf or cowl. Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting that you've already swatched it - so glad you like it! I can tell you the cowl came in handy last weekend when it was so COOL here. :)

      Delete

I love comments! Speak on....