Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Tallulah Takes a ... Walk

I very nearly wrote "nap", because that's what Tallulah's been doing for about two months now....

Sleeping in the arms of Millie the Measuring Tape

Not that I blame her. I'd nap all winter long if I could. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get paid to sleep?

~ ~ ~

Sunday afternoon is sunny, with temps in the 20s and a brisk wind blowing. I wake Tallulah from her long winter's nap, pop her new winter hat on her head, and out we go into the wintry chill.

"Where should we stop first, Tallulah?"

"How about down by the lake? I can pose on a piling while you take a picture of me in my new hat," says T.

Tallulah's new hat sports braided ties and a tufty adornment on the crown, giving her a kind of Beaker-meets-Pippi Longstocking look:



"I thought I asked for a pompom," says T.

"So you did," I reply. "But have you ever tried making a 5mm pompom? From sock-weight yarn? My fingers just aren't small enough. This is the best I could do."

"And I appreciate it very much," she says graciously. Our walk continues in amicable silence.

Down the trail the trees are hung with rustling clusters of champagne-coloured samaras:


We find a rare patch of green under some sheltering fir trees:


Farther on, a clump of oaks (northern pin oaks, I think) still retain their leaves - a phenomenon called marcescence:


The weather has been just warm enough this week to melt off much of the snow. What remains is patchy and, in some areas, softening from the ground up. We walk over a long stretch dotted with tiny holes where the snow has melted around each blade of grass:


Here also are the remains of knapweed, dreaming of lost summer:


At the side of the trail white birch reach up with shining arms to the blue sky:


Looking down another avenue of trees:


The thaw gives a deceptively spring-like appearance, but I'm sure that come February we'll see the ground snow-covered once more.

On our way back, we pass dried clumps of what I think is water hemlock, and I snap a series of andamento-inspired photos (somehow managing to obtrude my head into almost every shot). Here's the best of the bunch, with Mrs. M cropped out:

Hi, Anne! :)

Then it's back to the house for a quick dinner followed by a visit to the Aged P, where I will sit and knit while he watches football. (And what he'll do when the season is over I don't know.)

~ ~ ~

Knitting has been much on my mind lately. Last week I caught a cold, which robbed me of my voice and gave me a killer sinus headache. While sitting home resting the vocal chords and waiting for the headache to subside, I taught myself to knit back backwards, and also worked out how to use MMABO on ribbing. Tutorial coming soon (for the ribbing, I mean).

It was almost worth getting mildly sick just to get the crafting time in....

How do you pass the time when you're under the weather?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

12 comments:

  1. I've been sick for three weeks wit a neverending cold. I've been knitting squares for a blanket, then crocheting around them for borders. They are almost all ready for assembly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely walk and Tallula looks great in her new hat, I hope you're fully recovered from your cold. Nearly everyone at work is sick at the moment coughing and sneezing around me so I fear it won't be long before I too succumb. How on earth do you knit backwards and what are the benefits one has to ask haha. If I'm ill I sit and crochet or knit without feeling guilty and try and catch up on some reading if I'm well enough of course. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! Or under the needle!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Quilting, of course. Doc can't say "too much upper body" for that!

    Love Tallulah's new hat, as well as her winter napping spot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant blue sky, tell Tallulah that her hat is lovely. Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your little Tallulah, Sue! Not to mention her darling cap! Your photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos and was wondering if Tallulah had "retired." Knitting forwards is a challenge enough for me! And when I am sick I stay in bed with the covers up to my chin. Otherwise, life is normal. Sniffles, cough, life goes on. We still have to eat and take the dog in and out. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice pics, glad to see you and Tallulah getting out and about. Nice hat T! It's amazing how still and patient nature is until the cold recedes. I avoid getting ill at all costs because Snowcatcher will throw me in the dungeon until I learn to be nice again. Just kidding, I get quite pampered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you are back on track and could put your cold away. When I'm under the weather I usually hang around, walk around, do nothing but try to do everything. It's frustrating! However, I may learn to think that everything happens for a reason and that I should be thankful to have the time to be not my usual self, the busy bee. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry you weren't feeling well. It does look like you and Talulah had a nice walk.

    I had a cold this week too. I've knit, watched some CNN specials AND even got in a little knitting. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your girl looks very cute and warm with her new hat on.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miss T looks lovely in her new hat (even without a pompom).
    I am very unsocial when I am sick. Depends on what is wrong with me what I do. If I can I do handwork or knit. Otherwise it is Netflix or TV.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do so hope that you will be feeling up to snuff soon..as in RIGHT NOW.
    Miss T. is such a darling and so fortunate to live with you.
    Best wishes for you dear father as always.
    Much affection, Ellen.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....