Sunday, December 4, 2016

Woods on a Snowy Evening

Ever since the first smattering of snow a couple of weeks back, there's been a sense of weather-related restlessness among the population. Nobody gets excited about snow in February, but a December without snow seems barren and forlorn - so we watch the forecasts and sniff the air and try not to think about that horror of horrors, a green Christmas.

Hence Mr. M's opening remark after getting up this morning. Whilst I was yet lingering under the flannel sheets, thinking (as one does) of crochet, he popped his head back into the room and announced, "We got a present!"

A present indeed. Snow had fallen softly all night, and was still falling. Suddenly our world had become a white and magical place.

Why is the first good snowfall so exciting? It happens every year. You'd think we'd be enured to it, but we're not; it's a wonder that never grows old. And even though we have photos galore of snowy scenes past, we still get out our cameras to take pictures of this snow.

If no two snowflakes are alike - if each one is forever unique in the universe - then every snowfall is a shower of singularity, a flurry of minute and miraculous never-to-be-seen-again-ness. If that's not exciting, what is?

Here are some photos from today's walk....

~

Snow has continued falling all day, and the air is damp and hazy. The marsh-around-the-corner is starting to freeze over; the geese that have rested there every night for weeks will have to look for open water elsewhere.


I'm headed for the prairie restoration project, always a pleasant destination on a snowy Sunday.

Snow provides a fresh background for familiar things, letting us see their shapes anew. The curl of dried grass is much more striking with the new snow behind it:


Falling snow damps not only sound but colour, reducing the landscape to basic hues. Tawny prairie to the left, black-and-white woods to the right:


A seed head wrapped in snow:


Young woods rejoicing in white:


This snow is the sticky, persistent kind - light enough to pile up, but slightly too wet to be fluffy. It forms into thin ridges on every branch and twig...


...and piles into absurd little caps on all the dried flowers.


It throws a misty veil of wonder over the oak and chestnut woods...


...and beautifies even a barbed-wire fence.


The last bit of trail is nothing short of breathtaking - what Anne of Green Gables would surely call a White Way of Delight:




A few minutes after taking that last photo, the unseen sun drops below the horizon and the world turns dim and grey. I've walked through fairyland; it's time to head home for supper.

Happy December. :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

22 comments:

  1. You certainly have a way of poetically weaving snow and winter into the most pleasant December read! What a beautiful world you have! I hope ours will match yours on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Sue

    so beautiful. Can't wait to see snow one morning, too. Hopefully, global warming hasn't a too strong effect on winter here and we can still enjoy the beauty of winter now and then. Regula

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure does look pretty. Great photos. My Colorado boy sent me video last week of their first snow and then a picture over the weekend of a deer in their front yard. I've only ever visited snow, never lived in it. :) Happy December!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I saw on the news yesterday that Hawaii, although it's usual to get a bit of snow in the higher elevations, they are actually getting much more than normal. Very strange to think of Hawaii and snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, but you can keep it there. :-). We did get a dusting today with more predicted most of the week. I can't wait till Hubby retires and we can move somewhere with no snow.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this perfect post, Sue...I feel guilty for enjoying your gifted photo journalism and not paying you for the pleasure. Mt. Hood is collecting a good amount of snow and we may get some flakes down here in Boring, Oregon, tomorrow morning. Unlike poor Betsy, I am excited and view the prospect of snow here with joy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will stick with the hard frosts that we are getting here, at least they clear away before the end of the day. If we could have just one day of snowfall I think I might like it but any longer and I get cross with it.

    Enjoy your share of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how gorgeous! I have only seen snow like this a handful of times in Georgia so I really enjoyed your photos. Oh, and the beautiful writing to go with them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That first fall of snow is definitely a present. We've had lots on the hills around us but none down here at sea-level yet. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures! Oh but do feel free to keep all that snow up your way. I am quite content in telling myself that this year we are going to have a mild winter....you know, without snow, not very cold...more like an aggressive fall. :) What's been on your hook lately? Any knitting? Wishing you a most lovely day sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty, you know how I like my snow, in someone else's pictures. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "The white way of delight." Happy sigh :)
    I know just what you mean about the first snowfall if winter. I'm still waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for reminding me that I still have blogfriends who live in places that have beautiful snowy, winter scenery. Not like the wet, soggy bogs we have down here. We actually look forward to just a few snowflakes. You have countless❤️Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your snow photos! It's snowing here right now and I'm so happy! We've been decorating for xmas for a few days and the snow really gets me in the mood!! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    *********************************************
    *H*A*P*P*Y* * *H*O*L*I*D*A*Y*S*!*!*!*
    *********************************************

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos... we got our first snowfall last night and woke up to treacherous roads and school cancellations. But it was beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know what you mean about the first snows there's always something beautiful and magical about it especially if you don't need to go anywhere and you can just watch and savour the spectacle. Beautiful photo's that first one is stunning. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely stunning. I wish I had been there next to you walking in that beaitufl Winter wonderland.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you are enjoying it, it looks beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww, these are stunning pictures! I love snow, and so much of it! I miss it a LOT here :)
    Thank for sharing magical winter snaps with us..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fairyland indeed! It's true that those first snowfalls are so exciting as the whole world is transformed in a matter of a few hours. I love your snow shots!
    Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and all good things for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Mrs Micawber, please could you make a pattern for a newsboy hat/casquette I don't seem to be able to make one in spite of numerous efforts and errors.

    Please... pretty please...

    It would make such a nice hat in your version I am persuaded that almost everyone would like to have one.

    Happy New Year!! Many lovely hats and cowls and accomplishments in 2017!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....