Sunday, November 20, 2016

Snow on the Roof

The first weeks of November were strangely mild and warm. Garden plants were still producing, and all the herbs were going strong (except the basil, which was pulled last month). My wall of tarragon, though raggedy and slightly frostbitten at the tops, had lush new shoots at the base. Mr. M's little hot-pepper plant was loaded with upward-pointing fruit, looking like a small scarlet firework springing out of the earth. The tomato vines had died back but the draggled stems somehow bore still-ripening tomatoes. The year seemed to be dozing in a pleasant dream, somewhere between summer-that-was and spring-to-come.

On Friday, everything changed. All day long we were buffeted by a boisterous southwest wind - so boisterous that trees groaned, doors flapped, and the old building where I work made eerie whistling noises. Temperatures were still in the 60s, but by late afternoon they began to fall. Sometime during the night the wind veered north, shed 30+ degrees, and, without slackening speed, picked up a small burden of snow to fling over the late-autumn landscape. Saturday morning we woke to a scattering of white on the roof and the ground, and the realisation that winter is only a month off.

In some strange way, it's a relief to have the weather finally behaving as it should. The late-lingering warmth was wonderful, and we took full advantage of it, but underneath there was a sense that something wasn't quite right. This is the time of year for cosy evenings spent with yarn and a hot cuppa, for early nights under flannel sheets - for hibernation, in fact. And as much as I enjoy cycling, by November I'm ready for the season to end; warm days make me feel guilty for not being out on my bike. When the weather turns icy, the pressure is off; I can let cycling go until spring, and enjoy freezing walks instead.

Is this urge to hibernate the effect of a northern climate? I don't remember feeling like this when we lived in Southern California. But here in Wisconsin, on a sub-freezing Sunday in November, I'm ready to fall asleep as soon as the sun goes down. (Which is about 5 pm these days.)

So I'll just post a few photos here, then take a book and head off to the bedroom. I have an appointment with some flannel sheets.

~

November sunset walk to the park, with rose-coloured ribbons across the sky...



...and an apricot sunset behind the lake.


~

Breakfast tacos, starring the last of the tomatoes and homemade tortillas:


~

Saturday morning: snow on the garage roof...


...and the ground. But the kale is still holding out:


~

Saturday afternoon: a chilly walk to the park. The snow has melted, but the cold and wind are unabated. At the park entrance is a Burning Bush with Christmas lights (already!) entwined in the branches:


A patriotic display:


Leaves huddle at the edge of the pond, with wind-whipped water behind. Soon this water will be frozen-still, and the leaves encased in ice:


~

How's your weather? Seasonally appropriate?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

14 comments:

  1. It gets dark way too early and like you, I'm ready to go to bed not long after sunset. Our weather is changing. Cloudy here today and 62 degrees at 8:45 a.m. While your growing season has ended, the moderate temperatures here mean it's time to plant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that first scattering of snow at the beginning of the cold season! Lovely atmospheric images of the time of the year. A delicious looking breakfast too! I like your cycling shadow header!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had a most magnificent Autumn this year, best I can remember for a long time, but now it is cold and very wet with quite severe storms in the west of the country. It gets dark just about 4 pm but on this day in December, it will start to get lighter, I think it is my favourite day in the year.

    Lovely clear images, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have such a long hot summer that I can't wait for Fall, let alone Winter. We had our first cold nights this weekend and it has been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. November as usual: Today there is a Föhn strom and it is quite warm. It feels warmer outside than inside. :-) We had snow already ... also usual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's 52 deg. here in the gorge of Oregon.. I guess we're on track seasonally.. gorgeous images, my friend. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it's always so nice to read your posts and see all the beautiful pictures you take. Your pictures always look like painting to me. You seem to capture not just a view, but emotions with your camera lens. :) Keep warm up there sweet friend. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our state is becoming a desert. We need rain badly.
    It cools down at night and I found an old flannel pillowcase in the closet. Much appreciated on a cold night!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You capture the changing of the seasons better than just about anyone I know! And oh, does that dish look delectable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel exactly the same although I love the warmer weather it does seem out of place at this time of the year, I would say our weather is doing just what it should do at the moment it's freezing! Lovely photo's, enjoy your book. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mount Hood is collecting more and more snow much to my delight and the delight of many others. We still have not had a solid cold snap so I have a few Fuschia blooms and our Camellia bush has four pretty blossoms. Thanks for sharing your pretty seasonal photos, Sue. I hope you and yours have a Happy Thanksgiving! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely your world looks in November! My kale is doing as good as yours, the plants that weren't devoured by cabbage caterpillars that is :)))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm! Nice and wintery. I know that in the olden days people did go to bed at sundown and sleep more in winter as harvesting was over and planting still a ways off. Modern society has changed all that, but really the primal human clock knows better, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....