Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Lining the Chicory Square Bag

As promised in the Chicory Square pattern post, here's the method I used to line my Chicory Square Bag. These instructions will work for any size or shape of Chicory Square bag - square or rectangular, large or small.

1. Measure the front or back of your bag BEFORE adding a border or seams.

2. Calculate liner size:
Bag width ____ + 1/2" = ____ (cut liner width).
Bag length ____ x 2 = ____, + 1/2" = ____ (cut liner length).

Cut 2 pieces of fabric to the above measurements (one for the inner and one for the outer liner).

I thought I had pressed my fabric better than this....

My Chicory Square bag was designed for use as a project tote. (Too long have I been carrying crochet in plastic ziplock bags - it was high time I upgraded to something prettier.) So I included an inside pocket, just large enough to hold my craft scissors and a few crochet hooks.

3. For optional inside pocket, first decide how big you'd like it to be. (My finished pocket is 1/2" taller than my crochet hooks and 1" wider than my small craft scissors.)

Desired pocket width ____ + 1/2" = ____ (cut pocket width).
Desired pocket length ____ + 3/4" = ____ (cut pocket length).

Cut 1 pocket piece (or more, if you want more pockets).

4. Cut a pocket flap 2 1/2" tall by 1/2" wider than cut pocket width.


Prepare pocket flap and pocket pieces:

Press both long edges of flap under 1/4". Fold flap in half lengthwise, right sides together, and sew short side edges with 1/4" seam. Turn right side out and press. (Sorry, no photo of this step.)

Serge or zigzag raw pocket side and bottom edges. Hem pocket top with 1/4" double-folded hem. Press sides and bottom under 1/4".

6. Pin pocket to right side of inner bag liner in desired position. Pin 2 small pleats into bottom edge, near corners. (This will give the pocket some depth).
Topstitch down one side, across bottom, and up other side of pocket to attach to liner.


7. Pin flap to liner, with folded edge overlapping top edge of pocket by about 1/4".


Topstitch up one side, across top, and down other side. Be careful to catch both pressed-under top edges in your stitching.


Here I am making sure my scissors and crochet hooks will fit in the pocket....


...and stay in.


My pocket has passed the gravity test. On to the liner side seams.

8. Fold liner pieces lengthwise (separately), right sides together. Sew side seams in 1/4" seam.


9. Press raw top edges under 1/4". (You could also do this before sewing the side seams - if you do, be sure to hold the pressed edges open as you sew the seams, and re-press them afterwards.)


10. Turn the outer liner right side out, and slip the inner liner into the outer liner, wrong sides together.


Pin the pressed-under edges together...


...then topstitch to secure.


11. Slide the liner into your bag...


...pin into place...


...and get out your needles for a little handstitching.

If you are lucky enough to have a handmade needlebook, stop and admire it for a moment. Mine was a gift from the very talented Claire at Sweet Birdy Love. Isn't it beautiful?


And it just happens to match the bag.


When you're done admiring your needlebook, thread a needle and sew your liner to your bag. I used whipstitches, but you could also use blindstitches or pickstitches.


Open your bag and admire the tidy liner and crafty pocket.


Now pop in some yarn, scissors and hooks, and away you go!



If you have any questions about this tutorial, please feel free to ask using the comment box below.

Thanks for viewing, and happy sewing. And crocheting! :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

22 comments:

  1. Your tutorials are always so good, and for this bag your details are well thought out as always, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great instructions, I like your new square, it's really pretty, and works so well sewn together and made into a bag. I've not made large bags before, but lining definitely saves things sticking out of the inevitable gaps in crochet and I should think makes it far more robust. Remind me when I finally get to making a bag to line it would you?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to remember to remind you.... :)

      Thanks Faith!

      Delete
  3. This is a great tutorial. Very well written. I didn't have the chance to comment on the last post that I really love this bag and now seeing it finished and lined too is really gorgeous. Love it.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Rosie. Hope your end of summer is going well. :)

      Delete
  4. Love, love, love your tutorials Sue, you are so savvy with your arrows and such, I have no clue how to do all that.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just the text feature in Picasa. (I love arrows - they're so helpful.) These are really just dashes with a > at the end, as in --->. :)

      Thanks Mere!

      Delete
  5. What an awesome tutorial! Love the bag, it's so cute.

    Blessings always

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tutorial Sue, it's inserting the lining that puts me off making bags so this is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crochet bags really do need a lining (unless they're market bags). Hope this helps! And thanks. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one carrying my projects around in a Ziploc bag!!! Oh, but wait, you're not using one anymore now... I am the only one!!!

    Wonderful tutorial. Love how you shots photos as you went so you could share this tutorial. I'm usually so excited and anxious to get a project done, I forget to take photos, and then I have to make a second one to illustrate what I've done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb - though the lighting could have been MUCH better!

      And the bag has already gotten a lot of use - I really enjoy carrying my projects around in something so stylish and HAND-DYED. :D

      Delete
  8. That is really lovely and a great tutorial:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial. I already made the square and today I'm making another one-this time chicory flowers will be transformed into echinaceas( purple coneflowers, I think that's what they are called in English)
    I'm a terrible seamstress, but I think I will make the bag as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, and I will hope to see some photos on your blog. Echinaceas are so pretty - I am sure your bag will be too. :)

      Delete
  10. Some day I'll sew. I LOVE SWEET BIRDY LOVE's needle holder! so sweet. Tweet tweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it lovely? And the other side has a hand-embroidered pigeon feather. Every time I use it I smile. :)

      Delete
  11. Great tutorial! I have lined bags, but yours is neater so thanks for the great tips. My favorite part is the gravity test. It is my favorite cause forsome reason I seem to tip things out of my bags on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth - I always tip my bags too, hence the gravity test. I don't want to lose any crochet hooks. :)

      Delete

I love comments! Speak on....