Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Tuneful Sunday Ride

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sleepy first song of a frog in the marsh
Blackbird concert in an oak tree top
Chickadees calling "Spring's here ... spring's here"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sunday afternoon was sunny and a tad warmer - warmer being a comparative term meaning "not as icy as previously but still pretty chilly on a bike" (mid 40s). I celebrated this burst of tropicality by flinging caution to the winds and leaving the wool undershirt at home.

Tallulah and I set out just after 3 pm. The sky is of that particular blue specific to spring - a pale aquamarine that brings to mind an Italian Renaissance painting - dotted with baby clouds and streaked with ribbony contrails.


As we pass the marsh outside of town, a lone frog is sleepily croaking - the first frog song I've heard this year.

Fields and roadsides are still mostly brown (though bits of grass have begun to appear in sheltered areas). Such a change from last year's unusually early spring.


Farm equipment is waking up from hibernation and beginning to lumber about the countryside:


We come to a stream swollen with snowmelt, and I decide to stop for a photo of Tallulah on the bridge piling. As I climb off the bike I am amazed to see a turtle being carried down the stream just below me. Under the water, it's floating sideways - almost backwards - and waving its flippers in a helpless sort of way. By the time I get my camera out, the turtle is long gone.

Here's Tallulah, gazing downstream in a vain effort to see it:


We solace our disappointment with a photo of this vivid red-twig dogwood...


...then climb back on the bike and head out to look for more photo-worthy views. Like this wreath of wire draped casually around a fencepost:


And these birches holding grateful arms up to the sun:


A few miles past the birches, a friendly collie dog runs onto the road and bumps my leg, as if trying to herd me back to the fold. (Silly dog, he nearly got his paws run over.) Then, a half mile later, I pass a family walking in a field with another dog. The dog decides to chase me, and despite my best efforts - and the frantic shouts of the family - it catches up to me and races alongside the bike. To my everlasting shame I see that I have been run down by a Bassett hound. (My only excuse is that I was going uphill at the time.)

A tractor and an appealing line of bare-branched trees:

 

These two bovines...


...are eating placidly from a large wagon very near the road, until I stop to take their photo, whereupon they run to the middle of the field and stare balefully until I leave.

Golden willow fronds, blue sky, and red-twig dogwood in lovely juxtaposition:


Tallulah adding a spot of lavender to the landscape:


Everywhere we ride, we hear birds. Cardinals, black-capped chickadees, red-winged blackbirds, and many others I can't identify, are shouting with glee at the return of spring.

This lonely oak is full of blackbirds and song...


...as are the trees across the road. Wouldn't you like to hear it?


Back on the road for a shadow shot:


(The sun feels wonderful on my back.)

Miles and more miles, up hills and down, with one last stop for photos at a little one-room schoolhouse out in the country. Tallulah poses on the schoolyard pump:



And I take a shot of the old schoolbell.


Then it's back in the saddle and heading for home. I'm starving - not being used to riding so far this early in the season. (Time to hunt up my energy bar recipe and start bringing some along.)

Sunday was the only sunny day this week. Today (Tuesday) we had thunderstorms, with rain, sleet and snow in the immediate forecast. Ugh. But winter is on its last legs.

A beautiful day, and a very good ride.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

30 comments:

  1. What a lovely ride. I laughed at the Basset Hound chasing you down. Ha! They are hunting dogs so despite their appearance, they can go! Hope things continue to warm up. Have a great rest of the week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those words of encouragement - it's true, that hound could really go!

      Enjoy your week too, Tammy. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you are able to ride, even if it is chilly. I long for those blue skies!!! Love the photos of little Tallulah, and she sure makes that pump look good!

    No worries in being chased down by a dog with longer legs than humans have. It's when the turtles catch up to you (not Tallulah, of course!) that you must begin worrying! Well, turtles and skunks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the last road ride for some days - today I was forced to used the trainer due to ice storms. :/

      Good point about the turtles (and skunks)! :)

      Delete
  3. Happy to see your riding photos again and read the vivid descriptions - a Tortoise and Hound story!! I'm surprised Tallulah didn't mind sitting on that cold iron pump - it must be the color that attracted her!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue - I like the sound of "A Tortoise and Hound Story". :)

      And yes, I think Tallulah is drawn to red things....

      Delete
  4. Ahh, that's better! Sue's in the saddle again! Yay! How many miles was that, Sue? Are you muscles a little...creaky after a few months of abstinence? (I know this isn't your first ride but still...)

    Yes, winter's packing his bags and going off on a good, long vacation. As long as he doesn't choose France for his next destination :-)

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My legs are feeling great - it's the shoulders and arms that have forgotten what a job it is to hold me up for a few hours at a time. :)

      This ride was 27.1 miles, a bit shorter than I wanted but still not bad for the 4th or 5th ride of the season. :)

      I hope winter leaves QUICKLY! He's trying hard for a comeback today, though ... the trees are all covered with ice.

      Delete
  5. I could feel the warmness of the sun through your pictures.. a lovely ride! the spring is there, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. I'm enjoying it as much as I can! :)

      Delete
  6. Such beautiful skies and I loved the birdsong you shared with us! Signs of spring are happening here too! Isn't it wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's very wonderful. The birdsong is a great reassurance that spring is here to stay.

      Thanks, Sandra. :)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful picture,so glad Tallulah is helping you along, cheering for you all the way.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Meredith - I quite enjoy having Tallulah along for the ride, and planning photo ops for her. :)

      Delete
  8. The red-twig dogwood is beautiful!!!

    You tire me out, with all your energy. :-))))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Auntie, if you could only see how prolific it is this year - glowing rosily all over the place and lending a bit of colour to the landscape. If we can't be green we may as well enjoy the red! :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for taking me along on your ride, Sue,...especially loved the bird songs. I never could balance on a bike so am in awe of those who can and do pedal hundreds of miles, no less. Tallulah is so blessed to be a part of your ventures, as are we :)
    xx,
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming along, Gracie ... thinking of what I'll say in the blog post adds a lot of fun to my rides. :)

      Delete
  10. Love the post! Thanks for giving us a tour on your bike ride...I'm rather jealous. GReat photos and video clip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul, and I'm sorry if it gives you a bit of regretful twinge. You'll be back out there too. Hang in there. :)

      Delete
  11. Such blue, blue skies ... dare we hope that winter is really over. Here I was standing in snow only yesterday, although it's only found in north facing corners now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've still quite a bit of snow in the woods, and today (Wed.) we're covered with icy sleet. The blue skies are hiding for the moment ... but I know they'll be back. :)

      Delete
  12. Love seeing the splashes of red in your pics Sue. Whether it be the gorgeous Dogwood twigs, the school pumpor the old farm machinery, barns etc.....
    Must've felt great to get back into the saddle again.
    Loved the little video clip, those birds were certainly singing their hearts out.

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red was about the only colour out there ... except for the golden willow fronds. Spring is a long time coming this year!

      Thanks Claire. :)

      Delete
  13. It appears you and Tallulah shared a wonderful adventure despite the cool winds.
    I wonder what those steer thought of you.
    It must be divine to be out there in the sunshine, birdsong in the air, just you and the little turtle traveling the roads.
    Have a great weekend. It'll be a wet one here.
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan - here too. We're having a week or ten days of rain and icy sleet.

      But we need the moisture! :)

      Delete
  14. This werath of wire is just what we need here to protect a newly planted larch. This kind of wire is forbidden and you can't buy it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably a good thing. Barbed wire is nasty stuff - I have fallen on a barbed wire fence in my childhood and got scratched pretty badly. But the fences can sometimes look nice in a photograph. :)

      Delete
  15. Here's hoping that the ice disappears soon and the blue skies return.
    Beautiful photos and wonderful ride..thanks. Hope your weekend is warm and sunny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ellen, but 'tis a vain hope I fear, if NOAA is to be believed. But let us keep our fingers crossed.... :)

      Delete

I love comments! Speak on....