Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Tallulah Goes on a Training Ride


Yesterday Tallulah reminded me that I hadn't yet taken her for a ride. "Don't worry," I said. "The season is young. I'll take you very soon."

"But you're riding today, aren't you?"

"Well - yes - but it's only a training ride. I'm not taking the camera or anything."

"Please may I come? I'll sit in your pocket and not bother you at all."

"But if I take you on the ride, I'll be wanting to stop and take photos of you when I should really be doing intervals instead."

"Photos? Oh, I'd love to have my photo taken. I'm getting awfully bored riding around in your purse all the time. And your bloggy friends must be wondering what has happened to me."

"Well...."

"You will? Hooray!"

(Of course Hooray is much too brief an exclamation of joy for a turtle to have uttered - because turtles, in addition to moving slowly, talk very slowly too. Very slowly and rather softly. But you get the general idea.)

So Tallulah is tucked into my back jacket pocket - the left pocket, with the keys - and the camera goes into the right pocket. (Spineless cyclist that I am - shame on me for tempting myself in this way. But Tallulah's first Wisconsin ride must be recorded for posterity. It is an historic event.)

Only one brief photo shoot, I promise myself, as a sop to my cycling conscience. Though the sky be blue and the rippling snow-fed waters sparkling with unheard-of joy at their release from winter's bond - though the turtle be wheedlesome and beguilingly cute - she's simply got to stay in my pocket.

As it turns out, she's quite happy to stay there. It's another 36º day and the north wind is like the fist of an icy giant - now clawing, now buffeting.

Several miles out of town, on a sheltered road, Tallulah emerges for her photo shoot. "Wow, look at all the snow on the ground," is her first remark.

"Yes, isn't it wonderful," I say drily. (The sarcasm goes right over her head.)


She asks permission to explore a bit, then sets off down the top of a fence.


Some yummy-looking leaves...


...turn out to be lichen - not so yummy after all.

A sign is affixed to the fence. "No ... tortoising," she reads.


Her turtle lip begins to tremble. "No tortoising? Don't they like turtles in Wisconsin?"

"That's 'No Trespassing', Tallulah. You're reading it upside down." (Sigh of turtle relief.) "Here, let me put you on this fence post over here. You can gaze out over the snowy field and look thoughtful."


"Brrr! That wind is blowing right through my shell," she shivers. "Can I get back in your pocket now?"

"Just one more shot," I say. "Let's make it out-of-focus so I'll have an excuse to play with the photo-editing program and make you look all postery."


(Of course all my bad photos are intentional.)

Our photo shoot done, Tallulah takes a last look down the road (getting the cyclist's-eye view)...


...then it's back in the saddle for both of us. After all, I tell, her, I have a training ride to finish.

"What are you training for?" Her voice comes faintly from my pocket as we head down the windy road.

"A Very Special Ride, coming up at the end of June," I reply.

But the wind snatches my words away, and Tallulah is left wondering.

~

Tune in next time, when I'll tell Tallulah (and you) all about the Very Special Ride.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

24 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm just back from a training run (of the running kind) for a scary (to me) trail race at the beginning of June. Good luck with your training and will look forward to hearing about your Very Special Ride. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - that sounds exciting. My event is also a bit scary to me at least). Good luck with your training too! :)

      Delete
  2. What an exciting Wisconsin ride for Tallulah! Can't wait to hear about your Very Special Ride. Hope the training goes well. Looks to be a bit nicer weather tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know ... can you imagine, we might even hit 50?!? :)

      Delete
  3. Tallulah, I have been missing your sweet face, so glad you got to go for a ride. I am wondering if it is the Door Co, 110 mole ride, or is it to early for that?
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those rides sound VERY interesting ... but it is neither. All will be revealed soon. :)

      Thanks Meredith!

      Delete
  4. So fun to see Tallulah getting out in Wisconsin! And so good to know you're braving the snow, cold and wind to train! Cannot wait for the next installment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Tallulah and her adventures, looks like a super chilly ride! xxx Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was. But it's great to get out after a long winter in!

      Thanks Penny. :)

      Delete
  6. I love Tallulah,I'm so glad she enjoyed her first ride of the season, looking forward to hearing all about the very special ride :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda - Tallulah is a lot of fun even when she's just riding around in my pocket. :)

      Delete
  7. What fun! That Tallulah is a character. I'm excited to read about your upcoming riding adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to hear from you! Hope your winter went well. Thanks, e. :)

      Delete
  8. Oh that Tallulah is one lucky fella'...wait...fella' or lady?

    I hope Tallulah will join you for the big mysterious event. Ya' know, it's not the hare that wins. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tallulah is a girl. :)

      Good point about the event ... I hadn't thought of that one. Tallulah shall CERTAINLY be joining me in that case.

      Delete
  9. Tallulah looks just wonderful in her photo shoot on her first ride. I saw my bike, but no rides until I learn my way around a new town. I would hate to be lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope things are all in their place now - especially that one item that was sitting in your kitchen.... :)

      Thanks Beth.

      Delete
  10. April 4th...

    -Waving frantically hand- -grin-

    I seeeeee Pithy Remarks. I do. And am leaving one! :-) But really, I don't think these "Pithy Remarks Pink Words" where here, when I came before.

    I even checked back to an earlier post, and saw nothing, to indicate Comments. Hmmmm...

    Well, all is well now! -grin-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm ... Blogger was acting strangely the other day. My reading list was doing the Cheshire Cat thing. Let us be glad that all is now well.

      Thanks for all your Pithy Remarks, Auntie. :)

      Delete
  11. ha-ha! Tallulah is adorable! Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammy! She was crocheted by my friend Snowcatcher and presented to me on my last visit to Colorado. :)

      Delete

I love comments! Speak on....