Saturday, March 26, 2011

Velvety Whole Wheat Brown Sugar Brownies

A brownie is a little chocolate square of love. I like to kid myself that these are healthy brownies - the whole wheat flour salves my dietary conscience, and the brown sugar gives them a slight molasses-y edge. But really, they're just plain good. Especially if you have the iron self-control to let them sit overnight.


Makes 16

Heat oven to 350.  Butter 8"x8" pan.

In small saucepan, melt:
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)

Remove from heat and with fork or whisk stir in, one at a time:
1/2 cup cocoa
2 tablespoons boiling water OR hot coffee
1 cup packed brown sugar (I could stop here and just eat the batter, but I don't)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

When smooth, stir in:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Scant 1/8 teaspoon baking soda (optional, for a cakier brownie)

Pour into buttered pan.  If desired, sprinkle chocolate chips over the top.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Cool completely.

Frost if desired and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Speak on....