Saturday, February 12, 2022

Two New Patterns

I'm pleased to announce that I have recently published not one, but two patterns. And - wait for it - one of them is knit. (Gasps resound from crocheting readers around the world.)

Let's start with the crochet pattern. This is Crystallon, a lacy shawl inspired by thoughts of crystallized water (Crystallon means "frozen drop" in Greek):

Crystallon uses only chain, single crochet, and double crochet. My sample measures 55" across by 25" deep, and took 142 gm (about 621 yards) of sportweight yarn.

The yarn is Hobbii Cotton Kings Sultan (color Apatite), a stranded gradient yarn consisting of four threads that change color one at a time, every hundred yards or so. This yarn is unplied, and takes a bit of getting used to, but it blocks beautifully and is a very affordable option for gradient-yarn lovers.

Crystallon includes charts and full written instructions, with options for a beaded or picot edge. Find the pattern here in my Ravelry store, and enjoy a 25% discount until February 20 with code ICY at checkout.


~ ~ ~

And here is my new knitting pattern: iHat!


iHat knits up quickly in worsted weight wool, and features simple stranded colorwork, subtle decreases, a quirky spiral crown closure, and contrast color nupps made with a crochet hook.


The nupps can be worked as-you-go (videotutorial here), or after the hat is complete. Having tried both methods, I found the afterthought nupps easier to make, with more consistent results. Your mileage may vary.

Afterthought nupps on the left, as-you-go on the right

The grey/yellow hat was worked in Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Worsted (colors Mist and Creme Brulee); the sand/purple hat was worked in Shepherd's Wool Worsted (color Beaches) and Wool of the Andes Worsted (color Columbine). All the yarns were lovely to handle, and blocked well.

iHat includes charts, full written instructions, and illustrated tutorials for two nupp methods. Find the pattern here in my Ravelry store, and get a 25% discount until February 20 with code MIHAT at checkout.

Thanks for viewing, and happy crocheting. And knitting!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~



26 comments:

  1. Thanks for the hat pattern; it looks like fun. Beautiful shawl, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystallon is simply beautiful and in my favourite range of colours! The shape is so charming and it has a beautiful shape! Cute little knitted hats too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow that shawl is beautiful and the hat is really cute. Have a lovely Sunday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful lacy shawl. Love the yarn you used, too. Oh that hat is awesome. Love the colors. You are always amazing in all the beautiful things you design and create. Happy Sunday sweet friend. Blessings always :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both of these patterns. They are so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Cheerful is good, especially these days. :)

      Delete
  6. app1ause~!!!!! I am in awe of the shaw1s. The hat bumps are so c1ever. Sue, you have added great patterns for us. THanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, kathy! I need to hop over to your blog and catch up on your doings.

      Delete
  7. Well done! I've made so many shawls and never worn them. However, I never leave the house without a hat these days. And I crochet and knit. :-)

    All the best!

    Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Regula! I never used to wear shawls until I started designing them. Now I wear them all the time. :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful work, I love the shawl, thank you very much for the patern, will probably do it soon ;)
    Kind regards from Portugal

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! Those are both gorgeous. The shawl is enough to make me want to learn crochet, but I have strict rule about "no new crafts."
    And I love that you have moved into knitting. The iHat is adorable and I love the nupps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I have a strict "no new craft" rule also, but confess to breaking it when I'm at work. Sometimes I have to learn a new technique so I can write the pattern for it. :)

      Delete
  10. You are so amazing! The shawl (and colorway) are just gorgeous! Love the effect the beads bring. This truly lives up to its name! (Which, by the way, also is very cool!) Love that you are bringing your one-of-a-kind vision to knitting! GREAT hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb! That shawl is definitely your colorway. The yarn actually started with a darker teal, but I removed that section of the cake (about 30 gm) because otherwise I would never have reached the lightest parts for the shawl edging.

      Delete
  11. Your talent is just beyond belief! And oh, my favorite turquoise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, M!

    (Which makes me picture you as a character in a James Bond story....)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful patterns! Just love those shawls...such a delicate look to them and the beads are definitely a great finishing touch. I've forwarded the link to your Ravelry store as my sister knits and I am sure she will love those hats! keep well. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! And I see you have a book!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....