Monday, June 3, 2024

Colorado Interlude, Day 1: Mountains and Wildflowers and Birds

Mr. M and I recently returned from a trip to Colorado, our first real vacation since 2016. We spent five lovely days with my nephew and his wife, who live in the mountains near Boulder. What a paradise for cycling and hiking and photography! Though we didn't take our bikes, we enjoyed seeing cyclists zipping past the house all day, every day.

The first morning after we arrived, I set off down the road on foot to check out the nearest trail. I wish my street at home looked like this:


The trail climbs up steeply from the road, then levels off somewhat. Just look at that glorious sky:


Before long, I spy the first of many wildflowers to come. This is blue flax:


A little farther on, something that looks like fleabane:


After that, the flowers come thick and fast. Salsify:


And a mysterious fuzzy something about to burst into bloom (I never do find out what it is):


Mouse-ear chickweed:


Some kind of cinquefoil:


Another mystery blossom I haven't been able to identify:


I think this one may be some kind of vetch:


Then a cheery yellow umbellifer. I think it's called mountain parsley:


The trail climbs steadily upwards, weaving in and out of the trees. Soon I begin to see bluebells:


And clumps of this delicately lovely sand-lily (also called star-lily):


I don't know what the next little flower is called, but I can see that it belongs to the pea family:


Under the trees grow tiny yellow violets:


Not yet blooming is this prickly pear cactus:


Then come these gorgeous blossoms (later research suggests they're a variety of penstemon, but I haven't been able to figure out which one):


As the trail goes higher, the views keep getting better:


After nearly a mile of climbing, I reach the peak, and go a short way down the other side, where cheery yellow flowers shine under a blue-and-white sky:


I've been gone more than an hour already, so decide to turn back. Flowers, grasses, and cactus dot the edge of the trail on the way down:


I spy another mystery plant ready to burst into bloom:


And some silvery foliage I haven't been able to identify:


This one I do recognize; it's pasqueflower:


These may be Western wallflower:


Then it's down, down, down the hill, back towards the trailhead and the distant road:


Along the road are several fruit trees in bloom, including apple, plum, and these stunning pink blossoms on what I think is a peach tree:


Then I'm back at the house and ready for breakfast.

~

My niece-in-law keeps several birdfeeders, which attract an amazing variety of birds, especially during migration season. Some of the birds we see later that day include pine siskin:


Magpie, Steller's jay, and woodpecker (downy or hairy, I'm not sure which):


Oriole:


And, my favorite, these lovely little tanagers:


There will be more wildflowers and birds in my next Colorado post!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

8 comments:

  1. All that before breakfast! You saw an amazing number of wild flowers and the birds were a real bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tommy! The wildflowers were such a treat, and the birds a definite bonus as you said.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Regula! I often thought on my Colorado walks that you get to enjoy views like this every day!

      Delete
  3. Oh, how I love this post!! So glad you got to visit beautiful Colorado! Flowers and birds, my kind of enjoyment too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! I had so much fun walking this trail. It would have been worth the trip just for that. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm impressed by how many flowers you know! Did you know the American Ornithological Society is changing the names of birds named after people? Stellar's Jay is on the list (I was today years old when I learned about that).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! For wildflower names, I do a lot of research after the photos are taken. I've learned a lot of Wisconsin wildflowers this way over the years, but I did have to look up most of the ones I saw in Colorado.

      Interesting about the bird names. I wonder what they'll be changed to?

      Delete

I love comments! Speak on....