Friday, June 7, 2024

Colorado Interlude, Day 2: Morning

Our second morning in Colorado dawns as beautifully as the first. Once again I set out before breakfast for a walk on the trail near my nephew's house, where there are more wildflowers to be seen.

Clumps of white locoweed light up the verge:


I'm excited to spy a puccoon; I had no idea these grew here:


The leaves of the next plant remind me of yucca, but the blossoms make it a mystery. I haven't been able to identify them yet:


Higher up, lovely blue penstemon edge the trail:


In the woods a Boulder raspberry blooms:


Feathery pasqueflower fruit shimmers in the morning sun:


More of the gorgeous mystery penstemon spotted on my previous walk:


Near the top, an interesting rock lies next to the trail - lichen-dotted red sandstone morphing to pale blue-green on its surface:


Just over the peak, I spy a mule deer climbing a nearby slope:


The trail here is full of fascinating texture:


One of the views from the peak:


Nearby bloom these tiny pink flowers with the charming name of filaree:


Pine trees blossom overhead:


At their feet flower Rocky Mountain groundsel:


Now it's time to head back down the trail...


...and across the mountain meadows...


...towards home and breakfast.

~

After breakfast I spend some enjoyable time on the deck, photographing the always-entertaining birds.

A downy woodpecker marches purposefully along the railing:


This broad-tailed hummingbird buzzes past my head, in a hurry to fuel up on syrup:


A goldfinch shares a feeder with what I think may be female grosbeaks:


This one is definitely a female grosbeak:


~ ~ ~

Later that day we take an evening walk amidst very different scenery, but I'll save those photos for my next post.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

6 comments:

  1. Oh, what beautiful wildflowers! I love the birds too! My sister lives in Colorado and my Dad was able to spend a good bit of time visiting there before he passed away. He really loved the wildflowers. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay! It is so very beautiful there.

      Delete
  2. A walk like that might even tempt me to get up early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made it easy to get up early there!

      Delete

I love comments! Speak on....