Monday, August 26, 2024

A Sunny Sunday Walk

On a recent Sunday, we drove to a park in the next county to walk a section of the Ice Age Trail. This particular loop of trail circles a spring-fed kettle lake and runs through a surprising diversity of terrain, including fen, sedge meadow, savanna, wet and dry forest, and mesic prairie. (In plain English: lots of trees and water and flowers.)

The day is warm, with a fresh breeze blowing. Near the start of the trail, a sunny bridge beckons us onward:


Of course I'm keeping an eye out for wildflowers, and soon spot a woodland sunflower:


Over our heads are the velvety berries of staghorn sumac:


As the terrain segues to oak woodland, acorns begin to appear:


Sunshine filters down through the canopy:


A tall aster blooms in an open spot:


Though we're circling a lake, the lake itself is rarely seen. Here we get a glimpse of it through the trees:


Heal-all blooms by the side of the trail:


And I'm excited to spot a great blue lobelia; I haven't seen one in years:


Clumps of moss dot the forest floor:


A second bridge marks the start of a transition from woodland to sedge meadow:


As the tree canopy slowly gives way, different flowers begin to appear. First we see white snakeroot:


Then evening primrose:


And horsemint:


An outlet stream crosses the flowery meadow:


Next we spy thistle:


Blue vervain:


And glorious swathes of goldenrod and Joe-Pye-weed:


We cross a long boardwalk over a fen, then we're back on a sandy path leading through a short section of trees. Another turn, and suddenly we're out on the windy prairie, where yet more goldenrod is framed by the white berries and wine-tinted leaves of grey dogwood:


Great waves of Queen Anne's lace break against the now-grassy trail:


Sunny yellow cup-plant blossoms reach for the blue sky above:


Huge clumps of black-eyed Susan delight the eye:


And coneflowers wave ragtag skirts in the wind:


After threading our happy way through this glory of wildflowers, we stop for one last photo of goldenrod and black-eyed Susan:


Then the trail turns a final corner and we're back at the parking lot where we started.

What a satisfying Sunday walk!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

11 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! What a lovely day! Did Archie skip the walk? I'm so impressed by your knowledge of wildflower names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I had to look up some of the wildflowers. :) Mr. M came with me on the walk; we don't know anyone named Archie, I'm afraid.

      Delete
  2. What a good value walk. You certainly kept your eyes out as you went along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your walk in the Ice Age Trail and through you have learned the names of some of the flowers I've seen around Chippewa. Having been blessed to live in England for 13 years I know they refer to Queen Anne's Lace as 'Cow Parsley' (just read your side bar) - Marguerite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, lucky you! I still dream of spending a significant chunk of time there. Thank you so much for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Oh Sue, what a wonderful walk! I loved it! Do you know, I have never seen Black Eyed Susans growing wild, how I wish we had them like that in Georgia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay! Maybe they don't grow wild in Georgia? They're all over the place here. I always get a kick out of the name because I have very dark brown eyes, and of course my name is Susan, so I think of them as 'my' flower. :)

      Delete
  5. I don't know wether I like the puffy clouds or the flowers more. ;-) Together they are a dream. Enjoy summer as long as you can. xxx Regula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Regula! I am trying to enjoy summer while I can. It's been very hot for the last few days, but tomorrow it should be bearable again.

      Delete
  6. This was such a lovely blog post. I thoroughly enjoyed it. This must be such a wonderful place to visit. I especially enjoyed your sharing the names of the plants. We have several of these growing on our farm. I don't think I realized just how pretty the sumac flowers are in particular.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....