Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Short, Warm Saturday Ride

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Frozen beauty of frost-burnt lotus
Tall pines singing with southern breezes
Ghosts of summer glimpsed in bare branches

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

After a week of raw, grey November weather, the weekend is unseasonably warm. Thunderstorms are forecast for Sunday, so Saturday is cycling day. A necessarily short ride - squeezed in between a morning of housework and a late-afternoon movie and dinner date with friends - means that pictures will be few.

The temperature is an almost soupy 60º, and a stiff south wind is blowing when I hit the road. Our village boasts a good-sized lake, but my normal cycling routes rarely take me past it, so today I decide to ride around the lake for a change. Houses line the shore for the first several miles, but here and there are some open spots.

View from a bridge of the lake's northern arm:


Can you spot the cyclist? This was the only shadow shot I could get today:


From the other side of the bridge, looking southwards into the sun:


Several miles on, at the next open bit of shore, a host of water lotus have been burnt brown by frost. (The last time I passed this way, they were creamy-yellow and glowing in the sun.)


A late-autumn ride has always something of the valedictory about it. Everywhere I go, I'm reminded of earlier rides, when the year was younger than it is now. Past the lake, and heading out of town, I see bare wild plum trees and remember the glory and sweetness of their blossom in spring. A grassy verge, now faded and dry, was once covered in clouds of Bouncing Bet, all pale and pinky-white. The silent marshes, edged with drying cat-tails, once rang with froggy love-songs and sparkled with golden heliopsis, red clover, purple rocket. The grass withers, and the blossom fades, as the days die down with the year. (sigh)

I pass a small quarry. The road to it is blocked by a gate, the posts of which are made from solid tree trunks. Here's a detail of the gatepost and chain:


Further on, the road is lined with rank upon rank of pines. The warm southern wind is singing through their green branches, stirring up their spicy scent, making it hard to believe we're on the downhill slide to winter.

Around a few corners, and I'm on the northbound road, flying along with the wind behind me. One last stop on a bridge which looks out over sapphire water and pale-gold marsh grasses:


While taking the above photo, I notice something sticking up above the trees on the far side of the marsh. A very spiffy deer stand, by the looks of it, complete with siding and contrasting window trim:


Then it's back on the bike and headed for home. A combine is trundling towards me, so I snap it on the fly:


A few minutes later, I'm home - wishing the ride could have been longer, and feeling like I haven't taken nearly enough photos. So I stop under the ash tree in the driveway for a shot of bare branches against the blue autumn sky...


...then pause at the doorstep for a fond picture of my still-thriving tomato vine...


...and the luxuriant clump of parsley beneath it.


This short warm spell won't last - we're in for some very chilly temps over the next few days. It's time to give up my bit of garden, and put away the blankets and tarps that have been keeping the plants alive. On Sunday I will pick all the tomatoes that can be picked, and pack them away safely to ripen in the dark. The last of the fresh basil will adorn our Sunday breakfast eggs, and the parsley will go into a bag in the freezer. I'll say goodbye to the marigolds and thyme, hoping to see them again in the spring.

At this time of year, every ride is a bonus. Saturday's ride, though short, was a good one.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

18 comments:

  1. What a lovely bike ride and my favourite shot is that of the water lotus. Beauty in every season, don't you think? I so love the different seasons and the different kind of loveliness that each one brings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, beauty in every season - if we only get out and look for it! :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures for a beautiful day. I tried your oil combination for my face and I am loving it!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meredith! So glad to hear you like the OCM. :)

      Delete
  3. This might be my most favorite rides. I, too, love the lotus photo. Wouldn't is make a fantastic poster?
    Happiest of weeks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so stylized and lovely - it was hard to stop taking photos. Thanks, e! :)

      Delete
  4. Ok, to sound like someone with no original ideas, that lotus picture is amazing, the balance in it is perfect....another lovely cycle trip. We live on salt marshes and I love the browns of the reed beds and grass against the blue of the water. A couple of nights ago a whole flock (I know there is another collective) of starlings rooster there for the night, they were noisy I can tell you, still whittering away when I put the dog out at 11- ish. I did get some film of them that I hoped to upload to my blog if I can figure out how!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, what IS the name for a group of starlings? It's on the tip of my tongue.... I will look forward to your pics of them.

      MURMURATION! (Had to Google it.)

      I hope your new house will also be near the shore.

      Thanks, Faith! :)

      Delete
  5. Beautifully penned, Sue! Of course the year is old now, you are quite right, but somehow I always see things in cycles (no pun intended); the seasons, which follow on from each other in a constant circle, are merely punctuated by our calendar months.

    At this time of year each cycle ride is indeed a gift. I set off on Sunday morning cheerfully with my son on our bicycles after three cycle-free weeks but our ride unfortunately did not last more than fifty minutes. The mist, which I had foolishly found quite romantic, turned out to be freezing fog. Even the beauty of the hundreds of cobwebs in the vines could not turn our minds away from our freezing fingers.

    We may try again next Sunday but this time with gloves, hats, and scarves.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right of course, Stephanie - time rolls on endlessly and it's only humans who add periods in the form of calendar pages and numbered years.

      I hope your next Sunday's ride is warmer. :)

      Delete
  6. It's always a pleasure tagging along with you on your bike rides. Photos are always beautiful! Hope you have a wonderful week! Shari

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm jealous! You got in a ride! We were in the teens. High winds, too. But your photos definitely made up for what I missed out on. Cool lookout! I want one of those in my back yard!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weather has been so chilly that I felt very lucky to have this warm day! :)

      Delete
  8. Another scenic ride Sue....nice to have a lake nearby.
    As much as I love the colour and vibrancy of Spring and Summer I find that Autumn and WInter bring a beauty all their own and it's more about shape and texture.
    Love pics 4 and 6, sounds like you had a lovely day planned.
    Blue skies and sunshine here, hope your week is a good one.

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire! Shape and texture - definitely. :)

      Delete
  9. Well, now that I know you weren't just being unusually quiet, I gotta' catch up! Okay, I had to work pretty hard to see that shadow shot, but hay, at least it WAS a shadow shot. :) I've missed them. I love the picture of the pond lotus. Wish we had those here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very shadowy indeed.... :)

      Those lotus were just stunning in summer - thousands and thousands of them.

      Delete

I love comments! Speak on....