Saturday, September 10, 2011

Summer's Not Over Yet...

As evidenced by our current state of tomato riches. Bring on the lycopene!


After a good pruning, the dianthus are bursting into new florescence.


Marigolds, those cheerful and reliable summer-long blossomers, are still going strong.


And my silly eggplant (or should that be eggplant plant?), which bore only one stunted fruit this year, seems to think it's spring again.


Bloom while you can, little eggplant. I will enjoy your lavender loveliness and marvel at your fuzzy violet-tinted stems until the cruel frost bites.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

5 comments:

  1. You are right, summer is not over yet. We have had the loveliest weather today. I was up in the air and flew into the Alps around Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau. I think right now there is the least snow up there. That's another reason why it still must be summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds beautiful, Regula. We had a short cold spell last week, but now we're back to summery temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tomatoes are fantastic - I always think you appreciate the late summer things even more than the earlier.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished up the last batch of tomatoes from my garden... YUM! We might get one more group; I'm having to keep an eye on the overnight low now. The plants that survived are all in pots, so I can bring them indoors before the nightly frost sets in.

    Not a single squash. All season. Hundreds of blossoms, not a single squash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a poet!! I love your writing!!

    Yummy tomatoes!!! Our tomatoes are winding down. :( But our strawberries seem to have some life right now!! :) My husband has been picking lots of grapes and squeezing for juice which is new to us!! Apparently I _do_ like grape juice after all, just not the kind from the store!! lol!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....